Singapore, 11 June 2014 - Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) won three awards for excellence and three honourable mentions at The Society of Publishers in Asia 2014 (SOPA) Awards for Editorial Excellence. The awards ceremony was held this evening at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.
1) Excellence in Feature writing (Group B)a) The Straits Times/The Sunday Times - Behind the silver surge(Ms Radha Basu, Senior Correspondent, The Straits Times)2) Excellence in Magazine Design (Group A)a) SilverKris (May 2013)3) Excellence in Magazine Design (Group B)a) The Peak (April 2013)4) Excellence in News Photography (Group B)a) The New Paper - Little India Riot: Police cars overturned, some in flames(Mr Jonathan Choo, Senior Executive Photojournalist, The New Paper)5) Excellence in Information Graphics (Group B)a) The Straits Times/The Sunday Times – Tech from nature(Mr Lim Yong, Executive Infographics Journalist, The Straits Times)6) Excellence in Opinion Writing (Group B)a) The Straits Times/The Sunday Times – Prepare for the next horror that surely will come(Mr Ravi Vellor, Foreign Editor, The Straits Times)7) Excellence in Editorial Cartooning (Group B)a) The Straits Times/The Sunday Times – Air defence zone a “lose-lose” for Beijing?(Mr Miel Prudencio Rosales Jr, Senior Executive Artist, The Straits Times)b) The Straits Times/The Sunday Times – Reviving the land of the rising sun(Mr Manuel Francisco, Executive Artist, The Straits Times)8) Excellence in Feature Photography (Group C)a) Lianhe Zaobao/联合早报 - 伶人说戏 (or The Storytelling of Traditional Chinese drama)(Mr Douglas Ho, Photographer, Lianhe Zaobao)Mr Warren Fernandez, Editor, The Straits Times, said : "We at the Straits Times are fortunate to have writers and artists who can hold their own against the best, as these awards show. We are proud to have them as part of the ST team, which strives to do our best for our readers." Mr Simon Ker, Chief Photographer, The New Paper, said : “Jonathan is a very senior photographer, with decades of experience under his belt. He knew the situation well. He hid his camera in his sling bag, kept his alertness and managed to creep close enough to capture this winning shot of rioters hurling rocks at police while cars burned in the background. Although he took a big risk, the result is this picture which is set to become an iconic picture of Singapore not seen in the last 40 years." Ms Joanna Lee-Miller, Group Editor, SPH Magazines, said : “Recognition by our peers is the best compliment and this accolade is extremely gratifying for the SilverKris team who are committed to delivering a top quality publication with a global readership.”For a detailed description of the above eight award categories, please refer to Appendix 1. Enclosed :
Mr Manuel Francisco, Executive Artist, The Straits Times (ST) won the award for excellence in the Excellence in Editorial Cartooning (Group B) category for his entry titled "Reviving the land of the rising sun". Mr Ravi Velloor, Foreign Editor, The Straits Times won an honourable mention in the Excellence in Opinion Writing (Group B) category for his article titled "Prepare for the next horror that surely will come". Mr Lim Yong, Executive Infographics Journalist, The Straits Times received an honourable mention in the Excellence in Information Graphics (Group B) category for his entry titled "Tech from nature".
Mr Jonathan Choo, Senior Executive Photojournalist, The New Paper won the award for excellence in the Excellence in News Photography (Group B) category for his photo entry titled "Little India Riot: Police cars overturned, some in flames".
SPH Magazines’ SilverKris (May 2013) won the award for excellence in the Excellence in Magazine Design (Group A) category. Its sister publication The Peak (April 2013) won an honourable mention in the Excellence in Magazine Design (Group B) category.
In total, SPH had nine entries nominated in eight award categories.
Issued by Singapore Press Holdings Ltd
- Appendix 1 - SOPA 2014 Awards for Editorial Excellence – award categories description
- The New Paper - Little India Riot: Police cars overturned, some in flame (photo)
- The Straits Times – Reviving the land of the rising sun (cartoon)
- SilverKris (May 2013) cover
Co. Regn. No. 198402868E
For more information, please contact:
Yeo Siew Chi (Mr)
Corporate Communications and CSR
Singapore Press Holdings Limited
DID: 6319 1586HP: 9749 5105
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgAbout Singapore Press Holdings Ltd
Incorporated in 1984, main board-listed Singapore Press Holdings Ltd (SPH) is Asia’s leading media organisation, engaging minds and enriching lives across multiple languages and platforms.
Newspapers, Magazines and Book Publishing
SPH has 19 titles licensed under the Newspaper Printing and Presses Act, of which nine are daily newspapers across four languages. On an average day, 3.05 million individuals or 76 per cent of people above 15 years old, read one of SPH's news publications. SPH also publishes and produces more than 100 magazine titles in Singapore and the region, covering a broad range of interests from lifestyle to information technology. SPH's subsidiaries, Straits Times Press and Focus Publishing, produce quality books and periodicals in English and Chinese.
Internet and Mobile
Beyond print, SPH's suite of digital products includes online editions of newspapers and magazines, as well as mobile applications. Our online products enjoy 360 million page views with 23 million unique browsers every month. Apart from AsiaOne, SPH’s online and new media initiatives include ST701, the leading online marketplace for jobs (STJobs), property (STProperty), cars (STCars) and general classifieds (STClassifieds); Stomp, omy.sg and SPH Razor. SPH also launched The Straits Times’ iPad and enhanced iPhone applications, an Android smartphone application and The Business Times’ iPhone application. SPH’s Chinese flagship newspaper Lianhe Zaobao has also launched its digital editions which include a web application, as well as online and PDF versions. The Malay language-daily Berita Harian has apps for both iPhones and Android smartphones and iPads, offering both native and PDF formats, and an online version.
In the radio business, SPH Radio Pte Ltd operates entertainment stations UFM 100.3 in Mandarin, as well as Kiss92 and HOT FM91.3 in English. SPH has a 20 per cent stake in MediaCorp TV Holdings Pte Ltd, which operates free-to-air channels 5, 8 and U, and a 40 per cent stake in MediaCorp Press Limited, which publishes the free newspaper, Today.
Events and Out-of-Home Advertising
SPH’s events arm Sphere Exhibits organises innovative consumer and trade events and exhibitions as well as large scale conferences in Singapore and the region. In addition, SPH has ventured into out-of-home (OOH) advertising through its digital out-of-home platform SPHMBO.
SPH REIT is a Singapore-based REIT established principally to invest, directly or indirectly, in a portfolio of income-producing real estate which is used primarily for retail purposes in Asia-Pacific, as well as real estate-related assets. SPH REIT is managed by SPH REIT Management Pte. Ltd., which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Singapore Press Holdings Limited.
The initial portfolio of SPH REIT comprises the following two high quality and well located commercial properties in Singapore:
· Paragon, a premier upscale retail mall and medical suite/office property, well known for its upscale mall housing many luxury brands, located in the heart of Orchard Road; and
· The Clementi Mall, a mid-market suburban mall located in the centre of Clementi town, an established residential estate in the west of Singapore.
The Seletar Mall is SPH's latest retail development and is expected to open at the end of 2014. This property is a potential asset to be injected into SPH REIT. SPH’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Times Development Pte Ltd, also developed a 43-storey upmarket residential condominium, Sky@eleven, at Thomson Road.
For more information, please visit www.sph.com.sg.